Thursday, October 11, 2007

mailing list, amusing comments, and internship update

There are 3 parts to this post...1) join new mailing list, 2)some amusing comments I've received recently about my dancing, and 2) an update on my new internship at Quick and Simple Magazine

MAILING LIST
I've you're a regular blog reader, PLEASE join my new mailing list to receive regular notifications when the blog has been updated. See the form at the right...take a second of your time and fill out your email address!


AMUSING COMMENTS
When I started this blog I made a vow not to get too personal with the stuff I write about here in regards to my dancing...believe me, I have much more inside of me I would love to scream out to be heard, but I know that isn't practical, necessary, or appropriate.

However I do feel the need to share 2 comments said to me recently about my dancing...though they are indeed highly personal (in some ways), I'm putting them here simply out of amusement. Lately I'm finding that teachers are really just other human beings, and not some untouchable force of perfection to be feared (as I still think of some). I'm finding amusement in the way certain people express themselves:

-"Ugly feet. Ugly hips. But she has talent. She can dance."

-"I notice you don't look very happy when you're dancing. Sometimes we can over train ourselves and lose the joy."

Make of those what you will. I shall add no more commentary.
I want Alessandra Ferri's feet. (took this from the wings at the Met @ her retirement performance...talk about talent)


INTERNSHIP UPDATE

Though ballet still seems to be the aspect of my life that controls my mood (good class, good day, bad class, bad day), the other half of my life is going quite well (though busy) lately. I've now been at my internship in the Home Editorial department of Quick and Simple Magazine for a week and I'm really enjoying it. My 2 bosses are super nice, and I get my own little desk in the intern cubicle (where, to date, no other interns have shown up...so I'm alone :). Getting to know the magazine is a really interesting process and it's fun to be back in an office environment (how much of a dork am I?).

Hearst Tower(pic from their website)...where all the magazines are...except ours haha. We're in another building, but this one is still pretty!


Similar to when I was at Pointe, I get to work pretty much independently and at my own pace, which I love love love. At another previous internship it was more of a collaborative environment, which definitely had its plusses, but I had to wait to find out my next task minute to minute. The way I work now, I can get much more done and have more creative freedom.

To that effect, today I got to start researching for the first story I'll be helping with. Though it's a weekly magazine, they work really far ahead in order to get issues out on time, so we're working on the Jan. 1 issue right now. The story: recycling Christmas materials, such as cards, gift wrap, etc. I spent the afternoon coming up with creative ways to use these things after the holidays using crafts and other ideas. How fun! If anyone has an idea for this let me know...it could end up in the magazine ;)

Anyway, that's the scoop for now.

No comments: