Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Recovery: 1 Month In

Today marks one month since my surgery. Technically that means I'm only 1/3 of the way through the recovery process, but it was definitely the worst 1/3. Things seem to be going smoothly but not nearly fast enough for my liking, haha. I'm getting antsy.

Starting PT last week was a big step, but this week my physical therapist is out of town and I wasn't able to get an appointment with anyone else. So I sort of feel like I'm taking a step backward waiting for him to return. I saw the doctor 2 weeks ago and he said in 2 weeks I could start getting off the boot, but my therapist said a little bit longer and I'm afraid to try anything when I won't see him for a while so...one more week in the boot. I walk around at home almost completely fine with it off now, though.

I've been doing some very gentle calf stretching and basic ankle circles and alphabets (writing the alphabet with your feet to work range of motion). But I'm SO ready to be dancing again. I've been sitting in on rehearsals a few days a week and it kills me not to get up and put my pointe shoes on and dance. Last night the insomnia kicked in yet again and I decided to make myself an intense pilates/yoga schedule for when I'm out of the boot starting next week. I miss being in class - any class - and working my body. I feel like a giant lump who's just sat and eaten for a month. Must. Get. In. Shape.

I think tomorrow I'm going to try to get back into yoga...just seated poses for now. My therapist said once I'm out of the boot I can do it so...good enough for me. I'm restless.

In the meantime I've been watching a lot of great dance (not sure if that makes my situation better or worse - still connected to dance, but it makes me want to move even more!). I saw Batsheva last weekend and two days of Fall for Dance so far. I go again this week and then I'll do a review of everything hopefully.

It's not helping that I think it's this week that many of my friends start rehearsals for the Radio City season. Sigh...

No comments: