I'm writing to you from a sunny balcony overlooking a gorgeous empty beach in southern Florida - just the break I need after 110 shows of Radio City. Yesterday's final 4 show day was difficult in many ways, but I'll blog about that when my mini vacation is over on Monday. For now, a happy new year post...
Another year in dance has whisked away, marked by the wrath of audition season, the joy of summer study, the excitement of premieres, the stress of rehearsals, and the bows of the final Nutcrackers (or Christmas Spectaculars!). 2008 was a great one in the New York dance world. Here are my choices for the top 8 performances of '08. Did you have other favorites?
8. NYCB's Jerome Robbins Tribute (particularly "West Side Story Suite," and "Fancy Free")
7. Rebecca Kelly Ballet's Iraq war-influenced, "Long Time Passing" (and my opportunity to apprentice with them)
6. Hubbard Street Dance Chicago's season at The Joyce
5. ABT's classic, "Giselle"
4. Kirov Ballet in Balanchine's "Rubies"
3. Yasuko Yokoshi's "Reframing the Framework DDD" at The Kitchen
2. Cedar Lake's "Glassy Essence" Installation
1. Liza Minnelli in "Liza's at the Palace"
2008 was a big year in my own dance life, as well. My personal top 8 moments of '08:
8. Being involved in growing Kat's student showcases at Ailey (Feb. '08 we had 20 people in the studio audience. This March '09 we'll have 2 packed shows in the theater!)
7. Attending the Dance Critics Association meeting in Washington and participating in a Writing on Dance course with a NY Times critic
6. Teaching and choreographing completely on my own for the first time for NYC public high school students
5. Dancing at a summer intensive at ABT
4. Interning at The New Yorker
3. Finding an affordable, rodent free apartment in Manhattan
2. Being fortunate enough to have landed a paid ballet company contract AND a paid publishing internship, and being even more lucky to pass up both opportunities for still better things.
1. Finishing my Master's Degree in Publishing
And the big bonus that surpasses the whole list: Dancing 110 shows of The Radio City Christmas Spectacular
May 2009 bring health and happiness to you all. Happy New Year!