Sunday, February 1, 2009

WHAAAT?

Though I probably could have called it, I am SO surprised to see this. Apparently I'm delayed with the news but...I can't believe how Pointe Magazine cut back:

"'Pointe' Editor-in-Chief Virginia Johnson and Reviews Editor Robert Johnson laid off at McFadden Media"

This commentary seems more disgruntled with the loss of the "reviews" section (which I wrote a piece for last summer, but it only made it to their website because even back then they had to cut back on printed page count). To my knowledge, I don't think Robert was full time there anyway but...

I'm much more disturbed that they let Virginia go!

I interned with her back in 2006 and have closely followed the magazine before and after that. She graciously gave me a shot at a review after meeting briefly at the Dance Critics Association conference this summer. I cannot honestly imagine who they would get to run Pointe better than her??? (though secretly I'd love the job, haha) Their new issue announces their 10 year anniversary, and she has been with them since the start.

I'll have much more to comment on in the morning when it's not 3am and I'm just finding this out, but...wow.

4 comments:

tonya said...

Well, why would they lay her off only to hire someone else? I foresee Pointe merging with one of the other dance mags -- I actually kind of see them all merging Dance, Pointe, and what are the others McFadden has? I hate to say it, but sign of the times...

Taylor said...

True...I don't think they'd hire someone else...they'll probably use the same staff as the other magazines (which I've noticed on the masthead they've already started doing...).

I would think perhaps a better solution to cut back would be to a) have seen it coming and put more efforts over the last year to improving the magazine's website (does anyone visit that unfortunate thing? no new blogs, no TIMELY reviews, etc..) and then b) eliminate production/distribution costs completely and become an online only publication and keep Virginia. To me that would have made more sense...the print edition has been getting thinner and thinner for some time and it's only bimonthly. I don't know. It's a shame to see them all merge...

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm the one behind in the news. I received my April-May issue today & I was absolutely flummoxed that Virginia Johnson had been given the sack.

Pointe is Virginia. She put her soul into the publication & it showed. I agree it was getting thinner, but the reviews & articles were of note to true Ballet fans & dancers.

Dance Magazine is getting rather trashy, I think. I skip more articles than I actually read. With budget cuts, I may let the subscription lapse. I'll hang on with Pointe for a while to see what develops. Besides, once I read both publications, I pass them on to other dancers & fans so they get recycled & spread the knowledge.

Gads, I really don't want to spend the bigger bucks to get European dance publications. I'm not going to think about that route just yet.

Yep. It's the sign of the times. Pare everything down to the cheap & tawdry. Never mind that consummate professionals like Virginia have a natural sense of quality & what we want in our Ballet news, helpful lessons & fabulous reviews.

Taylor said...

funny that you just posted this comment...i actually ran into virginia today and she seems to be doing well without pointe. in my opinion, pointe isn't doing well without her (i don't like the new logo...it's too streamlined to match dance spirit, etc!)