Tuesday, June 24, 2008

From the Archives

This week has been devoted to writing my graduate thesis (ugh!) and attempting to find a new apartment (double ugh!) and so I make another excuse for not blogging promptly.

I still need to write about DCA in detail, and do a few more reviews...but for today's post I'm digging to the blog archives...

It was this time last year that I got to be a super in ABT's Romeo & Juliet, an incredible experience that I wrote about as my very first blog entry. I was behind the times so it's not quite my blog anniversary yet (stay tuned...July 14 Off Center is one year old :) but I thought it would bring back memories to reread it.
--

I was lucky enough to be cast as a super in ABT’s full run of Romeo & Juliet at the Met this season. I got to be a bridesmaid in Act II, walking on half way through the village scene and basically standing as an extra in the background. THAT was an experience unto itself: first of all, there is no better view of that incredible company or that beautiful ballet than being right there in the action. But that theater - the wings, the house, the orchestra - when I first stepped out during our brief onstage rehearsal the Friday before I swear my heart stopped. I know it sounds cliché. I live for translating those kinds of moments into words, but it just cannot be done with this one - it was indescribable. Unreal. I’ve been on big stages before, but there is nothing like the Met. And in performance, even though I was only an extra, it was so amazing. There is something comforting and yet mysterious in knowing that nobody is looking at you, and yet EVERYONE can see you...

Continue reading the original post here.

2 comments:

Emma said...

oo where are you moving to lady?
good luck with the thesis

Taylor said...

don't know where yet...hoping for midtown but who knows..manhattan real estate is insane. ugh!