Sunday, August 30, 2026

Light Look: Vinnie Jones’ Choreography

 


(photo by VIN Eiamvuthikorn with dancers Naomi Sailors and Robert Lowman)

Earlier this summer, I had the immense pleasure of participating in the Empowering Creation: Female Ballet Choreographer Residency at Moulin Bell in France. It was an eye-opening and inspiring experience where I was surrounded by my cohort of four other female choreographers from all over the world and led by two incredible women – Marika Brussel and Mari Meade. In addition to creating myself, I got to dance in works by two of my fellow artists. One that was super interesting to be in the room with was Vinnie Jones.


Vinnie is a choreographer who was previously based on the West Coast and is now creating in the UK. I’m inspired by her boldness in making the leap across the pond. She is thoughtful, beautifully, technical, and intentional with her choreography in the studio.


I recently viewed one of her finished works that was performed in San Francisco in the United States. “Shape/Shift" with em(body) dance project took place February 17 & 18, 2023. The piece made interesting use of light as a character. I particularly enjoyed the use of a light stick that one dancer moved to illuminate their partner in different ways. The first section had articulate hand vocabulary that drew the audience in. Later sections include candle light where the dancers’ porte de bras seem to mimic flames arising. The final group movement ends strong, leaving the audience wanting more.


Vinnie is an exciting artist to follow and I’m looking forward to seeing what else she creates abroad. 


No comments: