Thursday, March 19, 2009

Play it Cool

The new production of "West Side Story" opens officially on Broadway tonight!

Oh how I would love to attend opening night. But I guess I'll have to wait a few months until standing room/student rush tickets open up (it was 4 months before I got into Billy Elliot finally!).

Check out James Wolcott's piece about the show on Vanity Fair's website here, and be sure to click into the photo portfolio they put together, which recreates images from the show using stars like Jennifer Lopez (though NY Magazine reports the photos were not initially taken to celebrate tonight's opening...). While you're reading up on it all, check out NY Magazine's great profile on musical theater genius Arthur Laurents.

In the past I've learned bits and pieces of this show, and it is such a fun and challenging one to dance. Big MERDE to the cast (many of whom are my "generation" of show biz folks)!

2 comments:

Ella said...

I saw West Side Story last weekend and absolutely loved it. The Robbins choreography is so amazing. West Side Story does have a lottery, show up 2 and a half hours before the show and put you name in for a drawing for 25.00 front row tickets. I tried this last week with some friends and lost but they were then selling partial view for $24 in the second balcony. The seats were fine! hardly partial view at all even though they were quite far from the stage. But a great place to see the choreography. They don't advertise these tickets, nor do they sell them for that price in advance. I don't know if they always have them or what the deal is but you could ask the box office. I'm a broke college student myself and need cheap seats!
It's really a wonderful production, you should see it if you get the chance! (I plan on going back to see it again)

Taylor said...

Ooh thanks for the tip! I'll have to try to go sometime next week and hope they have them...I've heard such great things about the show.