Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Exercise at Work?

In addition to dancing, I've been working a desk job in PR since February to make ends meet - and though I'm in a second field I'm actually semi-interested in, I can't tell you how hard it is to just sit at a desk all day when you'd rather be in the studio!

Obviously I'm in for a whole lot more of that than dancing these next few months while I'm in recovery...but sometimes between answering phones a thousand times a day I daydream about how I could be productive physically while sitting at the reception desk. I find myself twisting in the spinning chair to crack my back and stretch my obliques. I do arch curls with my feet flat under the desk. I cross my leg over my other knee to stretch my turnout muscles.

Don't laugh at me :)

Ha anyways, just came across this seminar that seems fitting:

Sunday 9/26 5:30-7:30pm

"Bring your yoga practice into your everyday life at your desk! Sitting at a desk with a computer all day often leads to us sitting hunched over and feeling exhausted. At this event, we'll have a full yoga class at Yogaworks with renowned instructor Anya Porter with an added focus on how to do yoga at your desk (without taking conference calls in downward-facing dog). We'll also have nutritionist Elissa Silver speaking after the class about keeping your energy up throughout the day without loading up on caffeine!"

I'm curious to see their desk strategies...I do ashtanga yoga all the time but I'm not sure I could get away with that if my boss walked by and saw me in chattaronga...
(Amusing image from here.)

No comments: