Saturday, February 23, 2008

stargazing at Vishneva's performance

I went to Diana Vishneva's Beauty in Motion program tonight, and it was sooo good!

I'm reviewing it for exploredance soon, but wow, she is amazing. And her other dancers were great, too. The choreography was all very different but very good...and it was a treat to see Desmond as a guest, too.

Haha, the best part of my evening was people watching before, after, and during intermission. First, thanks to my lucky fabulous orchestra seats, I spotted Paloma Herrara and Marcelo Gomes in the front row! Obviously they were there to support their fellow ABT principal dancer, which I thought was nice! Then in the second intermission up in the lobby by the balcony I walked past Alessandra Ferri!

And I also saw...Baryshnikov. Several times, haha. I'm such a ballet dork, and I really thought I was past the point of being starstruck by dancers, since I know all to well now that they are merely human like me. BUT it was so cool to see him in person, not onstage, just candidly. My friend and I walked past him a few times to goggle in awe, and she swears she saw him "staring" at us. Haha well...

Anyways it was a great performance and a nice night. Review to come soon on exploredance. For now you can finally see my review of Wednesday's NYCB performance on ExploreDance here.

I'm performing tomorrow :) time for sleep...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great when dancers show up for their colleagues' performances.

tonya said...

How funny -- I'm reviewing it for ED too! And I saw Robert there on Friday as well! Now that I think of it, it's cool of him to have more than one person reviewing something, because then you get many different perspectives -- much different than a newspaper! I didn't get to see Marcelo on my night though, or Baryshnikov :( I did sit in front of Kevin McKenzie and I saw Damian Woetzel in the audience. Fun experience -- I'll be excited to read your review!

Taylor said...

Yeah I was kind of a last minute addition to review Vishneva...I really wanted to see the program so Robert was able to get them last minute.

Definitely good to get more than one perspective...especially on something like that kind of repertoire...

And that's neat that you saw Kevin McKenzie and Damian...like Philip said above, it's good to know dancers support each other.