Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Flexi-stretcher: my new addiction

As much as I need my gingerbread latte nowadays, I need the flexi-stretcher before or after class!

This thing is unbelievable. Basically, it helps you stretch in the absolute correct position so you can't cheat and use other muscles or twist your bones or anything. It mainly helps improve your arabesque and get your leg right behind you, but it can be used for tons of other things.

Last night after class we had a demonstration with the girl, Rachel, who invented it. She's a dancer herself and had a whole series of exercises to go along with this amazing stretchy band. From abs, to arms, to extension, this thing does it all!

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now (but was borrowing from friends for about a week prior to ordering mine) and I definitely feel a difference! Most notably in my arabesque...my back is extremely tight and always has been, but this contraption gets my hips loose and in the right position so my leg goes up. It builds muscle and strength as it stretches, and when I'm in class after using it I imagine having it on and can feel the right alignment. It pulls my shoulder back too, which I often twist and hunch to aim for better extension.

I highly highly highly recommend buying one if you want a great stretch! It's a little pricey but well worth the investment. I got mine at Discount Dance, but you can also go on the flexi-sretcher website to order and see demonstrations.

Warning: It's addicting! :)

3 comments:

Fly Baby Fly said...

I have looked into getting one of these to help me stretch and be able to do the splits. But I like that it can be used for lots of things. Did it come with a video or some instruction? That is the only thing holding me back from getting one.

Anonymous said...

I got one from discount dance supply and it came with instructions that show and tell you how to do the stretches. Its worth what it cost because it really works!

Anonymous said...

We bought this from discount dance and my daughter lost the instructions!!HELP!!!
Thanks