Thursday, November 1, 2007

internship photo fun

While at work today I realized I haven't posted much about my internship at all since I started a month ago! So I felt an update was in order...

Today was a really fun day at the magazine. We had a photo shoot alllll day long, and it was so cool! They have shoots all the time in the studio right there in the office, but this was the first I was able to attend and help with. What an experience! I've been on other shoots for other magazines and things but this one was particularly neat because things are different when it's done in-house.

It was an all day affair and rather exhausting even though my job was basically to be a fly on the wall. I had to steam some shirts that the models wore (one of the few menial intern-type tasks I deal with) but besides that I sat back and just observed - how they make the set, how they decide on color schemes, how important props are, how they decide on the perfect pose, how they choose the final picture from the (literally) thousands of shots they take. Thank goodness for digital photography!

Anyway it was a really interesting day and it's times like these when I realize how lucky I am to be involved! My bosses are so great, and the photographer and photo editor and makeup artist and everyone were so fun to be around all day. Our one editor and I were talking and she asked how I liked working in magazines, and I said "I love it!" After dance (or instead of, if need be...argh) this is definitely the industry for me. She was like, "They don't teach this stuff in school. It's a whole other animal..." and she's completely right. That's what internships are for.

No comments: