Sunday, November 18, 2007

Nutcracker countdown continues

Rehearsal today was good, but I'm getting really anxious for the performances! Only 2 more Sundays of rehearsals and then we're onstage! yay!

The conductor was there today and we were working out music and stuff. We ran all of Act II in order again...same as usual. I'm really looking forward to performing.

Interesting New York Times article on Nutcracker today...'So Many 'Nutcrackers', So Little Time'. Alastair Macaulay basically gives a history of the Nutcracker, which I'm not so sure readers of the NY Times dance section really need. One thing he mentions is Disney's film 'Fantasia' and how it uses the 'Waltz of the Flowers' music. Reading about this jogged my memory about that scene (haven't seen that film in years!) but besides that...He goes on to say:

"There is only one “Waltz of the Flowers,” and one “Nutcracker,” that surpasses this [my note: the Fantasia version]. New York is lucky in that since 1954 it has had an annual season of George Balanchine’s “Nutcracker,” a masterpiece of construction that repays endless viewings."

Yes, the Balanchine version is beautiful. But I beg to differ that the only Nutcracker better than a cartoon of dancing brooms is NYCB. I am partial to Boston's Nut, which I grew up with...and I know there are many more out there that are so great. I have to say I very much disagree with the Times.

Anyways, I don't have time to be reading! haha I have so much work to do it's not even funny...Tuesday is my deadline for a whole bunch of things, so I better get going!

No comments: