Thursday, March 6, 2008

at least i get to laugh at my job

Thursdays are busy intern day, and today in particular was a bit crazy. As an intern, at a weekly magazine specifically, you never know from day to day whether you'll be insanely busy running around with your hands in a million different tasks, or if it's a slow day and you're stuck practicing your postal system skills for hours. Today was the busiest I've been in my time at The New Yorker, and it was fun!

The big project of the day involved going through the archives of all the cartoon caption contests in the past 3 years. It was SO FUNNY. I sit at the computer trying hard not to literally laugh out loud at some of the things people write - both the intentionally funny, winning captions and those that are so off they are hilarious. I went through quite a few (nearly 300 pages in Word...although I didn't have time to stop and go through everything, obviously...) and found enjoyment in a rather tedious task. I think that's the trick to being an intern...make the most of it, and I certainly have been doing that.



Speaking of that, on my last day of my previous internship back in January, the last intern task was to decorate easter eggs for a cover photo shoot! Haha and tonight I ran across the new issue without looking for it, and saw our pretty eggs right there staring back at me! Too funny...

Have I mentioned how grateful I am to have the opportunity to intern at the places I have? They really have been the best teaching experiences beyond any college (or grad school) course.

Anyways. I'm off to Salt Lake City in the morning! I'm so looking forward to it. I'm bringing my laptop so I'll squeeze in some blogging amongst my reunion fun, haha.

No comments: