Monday, March 31, 2008

more on dance critic Jowitt

Thanks to danciti I came across two Gawker blurbs about Village Voice Dance Critic (or formerly so) Deborah Jowitt being laid off last week. See here and here.

That first one has some interesting comments...apparently the general public agrees that dance is unimportant...though one commenter mentions, "I think it would be more accurate to say that the kind of dance most dance critics write about is "increasingly irrelevant, culturally". Dancing is a very popular activity among humans and I don't think that's going to change any time soon."

MAYBE I could get on board with that thought...I don't know though...

It's clear that the Voice is having issues in itself regarding budget problems and such (like many other newspaper-type publications) but it's still a big deal...

No comments: