Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Dance Brazil

Tonight I got to see a performance I normally would not have thought or requested to go to: Dance Brazil at Symphony Space. A company with a mix of dancing and capoeira, the art of dance fighting, the troupe presented an interesting evening...more details tomorrow but...

Maybe it was the fact that I'm getting a bad cold (ugh ugh ugh), that it was really hot and crowded, or that I'm just too accustomed to watching ballet and not venturing out, but the full program wasn't all that wonderful. I think of Brazilian dancing and I picture lots of upbeat, quick movements with drums and music that makes me want to move. The first half of the program was the exact opposite of that. Luckily after intermission there was much excitement, but only thanks to (it's sad to say...) many many many tricks. Flips, flying off each other, funny headstands...in fact the best parts were when the men tried to show each other up almost breakdance-style by topping off a better trick than the previous guy. It sure was impressive, but not necessarily for the "dance" aspect...

I'll try to write more tomorrow as I lie in bed sick and not in rehearsal where I should be. I didn't stop for a second today and the cold that was developing slowly has now hit me full force, even though I'm trying desperately to ignore it. What can I do...I'm taking the morning off to rest, but I still have to teach as usual on Wednesdays since I can't cancel that....

No comments: