Saturday, April 12, 2008

"big" ballet & outkast

As revealed the other day, I'm doing an article on Atlanta Ballet's collaboration with Big Boi from Outkast in the new work "big," which premiered Thursday night in Atlanta. You can see video of a rehearsal of the piece here.

Here's their NY Times review. "Ballet can’t achieve modernity by association, only by an extension of its own physical laws and principles." Hmm.

I love how the Times only covers out of town when it's reeeally important.

Also since I was working on my piece yesterday and searching to see how opening night went, I was slightly annoyed to have to wait until NOW to get a review. No bloggers in Atlanta posting immediate feedback?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved the performance!!! The ballet isn't exactly "to the beat" as I would say, to the music of the pop culture, but the colaboration of the two was extremely interesting. It was my fist Ballet performance, and my first "concert" by Outkast. So I am givingg you a fresh opinion. The use of props onstage was very neat, and the use of wires to lift the dancers were used in one act which, by the way, was one of my favorite acts. There were also children that danced and took big roles in the performance which made it 'cute' and fun. I loved it!!!!!!!!!!

Taylor said...

wow, thanks so much for your take on the performance!! I wish I had been able to see it. What made you choose to see it if it was your first time to BOTH ballet and outkast? Just curious. :)